Getting to know Author Kennedee Devoe (Ten Questions)
By Juan C. Diaz @TearsofWarDiaz
1. What city and state do you hail from? Carson, CA.
2. Who are your favorite authors? Terry McMillan.
3. What genre do you write? Urban Contemporary.
4. What inspired you to write in that genre? Because I knew my stories would be relatable to the urban community.
5. When you published your first book, were afraid of getting sued by any of the male character’s books because it was autobiographical? I was at first. But then I realized they probably don’t know how to read lol Just kidding 🙂 I didn’t feel that I projected them as the only bad person in the relationships, I also took ownership of my actions as well. It wasn’t a one-sided story for to people to have sympathy for me as a victim. The story was to showcase that I wasn’t allowing myself to be a victim despite the men’s actions.
6. How did readers respond to your first book? It seemed like there were two sides of responses for my first book. People either really loved it because they totally relate because they had been on the receiving end of some bad relationships also. Or people really hated the back because they couldn’t wrap their heads around why I would do such awful things, and then have the nerve to write about it. I think that my transparency is what really grew my following. I’m genuinely thankful the readers that have accepted me for who I was and who I have become.
7. Why did you choose to focus on the deterioration of friendship for your second book? I decided to write about my friendships because I noticed the demise of so many friendships on social media. I knew it would another relatable read. I really wanted to let people know who we’re having “frenemies” in their life that it’s ok to cut that lifeline. I think that people start thinking that because you’ve known someone for years that you have to continue to be loyal to someone that has been disloyal to you.
8. After writing two autobiographical books why did you go for fiction in your third book? To be honest book 3 is 80% fiction 20% truth. I really wanted to challenge myself as a writer to write the story from a males perspective. I must say that the feedback that I received from Panel Discussion/Book Launch Party the readers thoroughly enjoyed the story.
9. Can you describe the main character in your third book? Gino Baptise is a man that has witnessed the infidelities of his father. Those infidelities have made an everlasting mark on his life that lands him in prison. While imprisoned he starts to reevaluate his life wondering if his cheating is an inherited or learned behavior. He finds himself at a crossroad where he must decide his fate and change his life.
10. What’s next for Kennedee Devoe? I have a successful run, but I took a hiatus from writing to work on a personal career and heal from my previous relationship. My goal is to finally get off page 2 my 5th book lol I have this thing that’s called a job that just won’t let be a great writer lol I’m going to really try to release it late 2018. I can guarantee that book 5 will be another page turner…
Follow her on IG
Check out her website